I read this term, helicopter parent, in one of my parenting magazines. They wrote it as if it were a bad thing :) Helicopter parent: From the tendency to hover over their children's lives, like a helicopter. I'm not a complete helicopter parent - I don't hover at the daycare or question their ability to educate my children. I let him make decisions on his own and TRY to let him experience the ups and downs of life on his own. I'm not an extreme helicopter parent, but I admit to being one, for sure. Maybe its because of how difficult it was for me to have Brenden that makes me hover? I can't help but want to be there to protect both of them, always. Of course now that I have 2 kids its hard to hover over both of them at once, but I still try. I am trying not to hold back their independence. I want them to learn independence and how to play 'safe' vs. not letting them play at all. I don't necessarily hinder their growth, I'm just there to catch them if the fall along the way :). I'm trying to hover at a greater distance, especially with Brenden, but it will always be in my nature to be a helicopter parent. Is it really such a bad thing to want to protect your kids?
That being said, I was very proud of myself a few weekends ago when I took the kids to the park for a birthday party. I had Logan in my arms and was 'hovering' around the playground to make sure Brenden was okay. He usually sticks to the small slides - however, he would pick the time my hands are full to climb to the top of the climber to the highest slide they have. He was way above my head, climbing metal stairs, higher than some of the nearby trees, just having fun and not knowing at all that he needed to be careful to not fall (if you know my kids.. you know they fall.. a LOT). However - I was a good mommy and let him ride the big slide and have fun like the other kids at the party. This may not seem like a big deal to most, but for this helicopter mama, it was very difficult and very stressful. BUT I spent most of my childhood afraid of everything, and I am trying to teach Brenden how to be brave and independent - and CAREFUL ("hold the handrail Brenden!" "Do not stand up on the slide Brenden!")
Here are some pictures of his first trip on the 'big slide.'
Someone held Logan so I could walk to the top with Brenden a few times (he invited me to hover!). Here's a view from the top of the slide.
He's becoming a big boy way too fast!
At least I still have one baby - for now....

Some random cuteness from this weekend.
He has it so tough, doesn't he?
Thought this expression was funny. Love those big brown eyes!
Logan and Brenden sharing some cheerios (a rare display of brotherly love)
Do you think its time for a haircut?



No comments:
Post a Comment